As we know as dental professionals, good oral health is vital to good general health. Unfortunately, quality dental services are simply unavailable to too many individuals. Many people haven’t seen a dentist in years due to overwhelming difficulties in accessing care. The problem is not exclusive to underdeveloped countries. It is a serious issue right here in high-cost Santa Clara County.
As a dental professional, you are in the unique position to help people achieve better health through improved oral hygiene and dental care. You can truly make a difference in the lives of people from San Jose, CA. to San Jose, Mexico and beyond.
Volunteering is hard work, but it can also be extremely rewarding. Your volunteer experience can be as exciting as you want it to be. You may find yourself performing extractions at a regional CDA Cares event or traveling up the Amazon River to fill teeth in a remote village. No matter whether you choose to volunteer for an international dental charity mission or at a local health fair, your work will be appreciated by people who truly need your help.
International Volunteer Opportunities
Inspiring. Rewarding. Heartwarming. Uplifting.
These are a few of the words that dental professionals have used to describe their experiences volunteering with dental charity missions. The missions are operated by a wide variety of organizations that specialize in providing dental care to hundreds of underserved communities worldwide. Destinations include South and Central America, Africa, Indonesia, India and many more. Are you ready to pack your bags, see the world and change lives for the better? See below for resources.
- ADA International Volunteer Organization
- Charity Dental Work | Global Dental Relief
- Los Médicos Voladores
- Canvasback Missions, Inc.
- Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Team Smile | Nonprofit Childrens’ Dental Organization | Free Dental For Kids In Need
Local Volunteer Opportunities
SCCDS is located in one of the most affluent areas on Earth. Despite this, many individuals in our community are in desperate need of dental care. Here are opportunities to help close to home.
See the links below to learn more about the various volunteer programs we support.
- CDA Cares
- Foothill College’s Medical and Dental Brigades Donation Page
- California CareForce
- Health Mobile: Recognizing that good oral health is a critical part of overall well-being, Health Mobile is proud to be part of that effort. If you would like to get involved we are currently seeking volunteers for dental assisting, hygiene and dentists.
- Healthy Fresno Outreach: Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 9 am – 5 pm at Fresno High School. Tzu-Chi are recruiting dentists, dental hygienists, optometrists, acupuncturists, chiropractors and medical doctor to volunteer to serve the underserved and uninsured community. To volunteer, visit https://shorturl.at/cpCLQ
- Give Kids A Smile 2020: SCCDS will soon be making preparations for our annual “Give Kids A Smile” program in 2020. Dates to be announced soon. If you are a dentist, dental assistant or a dental assistant/hygienist student, now is the time to volunteer!
If you are interested in volunteering for these or any other opportunity listed, please contact Michael Tran or call (408) 289-1480